Over the past year, the Nbisiing Cultural Competency Training has been an unexpectedly large and important part of our service offerings. Our training have benefitted numerous businesses, governments and interested Canadians. We’ve estimated that we’ve trained over 1200 people over the past year. This includes professionals from many industries, and officials from many government disciplines. I’ve been able to do presentations to many schools and community organizations. Many participants have commented that they are able to better understand the perspectives and improve relationships with First Nations, Métis and Inuit.
In the context of our training, we make use of traditional Anishinaabe learning methodologies including using Elders and traditional knowledge holders, ceremonies, medicines, the talking stick and the sharing circle. There is nothing better than getting to hear the stories from participants and learning from each other’s experience.
Here is some of the feedback we’ve receives so far in our work:
- “This was a fantastic training. A huge thank you to the facilitators for dealing with a very painful and sensitive topic in an enlightening and positive way, even making us laugh at times with Bob’s engaging style! Well done. I will definitely be recommending this course to others.”
- “AMAZING course, the facilitator was incredibly engaging and the content and pedagogical approach was presented so authentically. This course is so necessary to conduct meaningful public service work.”
- “This course was amazing, loved the circle method of training as it made everyone actually pay attention. The real life experiences presented was very real and a great way to learn. The facilitators were wonderful as they spoke about lived experiences and true knowledge they knew and not something so text book.”
- “This is the best course I have taken in my 19 years with the City. This course should be MANDATORY to all public service employees. Can’t wait for more. The facilitators are amazing people and great facilitators.”
- “Invaluable experience! Expansive knowledge and understanding of course content. The perfect balance between hands on experiences and detailed information. Listening, sharing and participation was welcome and encouraged. Sharing felt natural and not forced or coerced.”
- “This was the most exceptional training experience of all the public service courses I have taken.”
I’m personally moved to hear from those many participants who gain insight and understanding of Indigenous perspectives and worldview. This has been highly rewarding.