An essential part of the vision of Nbisiing Consulting Inc. is to contribute to the success of our clients as well as indigenous communities while being guided by indigenous values. This is not only fundamental to the services we provide, but it’s absolutely integral to achieving reconciliation between First Nation, Métis and Inuit communities and all Canadians.
Nbisiing Consulting Inc. is thankful and proud of the work done by Justice Murray Sinclair and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) and we congratulate them on delivering their highly anticipated final report. The evidence and facts gathered over the past six years, the incredible bravery of the residential school survivors and their testimony and the recommendations contained therein will make the TRC and it’s final report historically and culturally significant for Canada.
Now the real work of reconciliation begins.
In the final report, TRC has stated: “Establishing constructive, mutually beneficial relationships and partnerships with Indigenous communities will contribute to their economic growth, improve community health and well-being, and ensure environmental sustainability that will ultimately benefit Indigenous peoples and all Canadians.”
The TRC has also found that most Canadians do not know the root causes of this social calamity nor the history of residential school system. It’s not reflected in the history, education or economy of Canada.
Justice Sinclair has said: “There isn’t a single profession in Canada that shouldn’t be required to understand the aboriginal experience in this country because all professions deal with aboriginal people, particularly in the West, where the population of aboriginal people is so significant.”
How can we close this gap together? What can you do to improve the lives of First Peoples in Canada.
We can help.
Nbisiing Consulting Inc. can work to provide advice, services and develop and facilitate learning opportunities for small, medium and large businesses, non-profit and charitable organizations, schools, government and so much more.
- Aboriginal Awareness – Providing customized education opportunities for corporate management, directors, staff on the history of Aboriginal peoples, including the history and legacy of residential schools, the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Treaties and Aboriginal rights, Indigenous law, and Aboriginal–Crown relations. Our authentic and comprehensive Nbisiing Aboriginal Awareness Training is provided by and led by First Nations people, and includes meaningful cultural perspectives and experiences. Our training can be customized to fit into your schedule, budget, location and audience.
- Cultural Advisory Services – We can provide you with confident, hands-on guidance and advice through the sometimes complex and diverse environment of First Nations society, cultural practices and ceremonial life.
- Speaking Opportunities – Need a guest speaker or facilitator to provide a presentation or to speak about the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and their findings?
- Aboriginal Policy Development – The TRC has recommended that companies “ensure that Aboriginal peoples have equitable access to jobs, training, and education opportunities in the corporate sector” including “long-term sustainable benefits from economic development projects.” Companies and organizations should consider the development of Aboriginal-specific policies including: Aboriginal relations policies; Aboriginal inclusion policies; implementing Aboriginal hiring practices including recruitment and human resources policies and developing Aboriginal content and curriculum.
- Reaching the Aboriginal Community – Simply put, how can your company or organization better communicate and reach out to First Nation, Métis and Inuit community in a respectful and inclusive way. We may be talking about official consultation, meaningful engagement, facilitation, communications planning or just going out into the community to meet indigenous leaders and Canada’s First Peoples.